Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Appropriation Art

In class we discovered that appropriation art is to "borrow, adopt, recycle, or sample aspects of (or entire form) man-made visual culture". Afterward we were given several artist that are known for this type of work; Richard Prince, Damien Loeb, Cory Arcangel, and Glenn Brown. The last mentioned, Glenn Brown takes famous, classical art pieces and changes them. The way he changes them however seems to me to be an easy, cheap way of making art. He took a normal portrait and turn it blue with a red nose and called it "Special Needs". I don't really see a point in doing this and I agree with several others in that this is not original. It seems to me that it should go again some copyright law or something. It reminds me of the computer software called "Paint" in which there is a button that allows you to just fill in the lines of something with a single click of a mouse....my four year old brother can do that. This is not to be rude to those who like this kind of art, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I guess my opinion is I just don't get it.
 (Posted by Sarah)
 Love Never Dies- Glenn Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment