Sunday, October 3, 2010

Work of Art?




 

“One of the principal ways we can change our relationship to difficult art is by repetition. An unpleasant piece of music may, the sixth or seventh time we listen, reveal new beauty. If we study one of Josef Albers's seemingly simple paintings of different colored squares, the colors start to shift. Of course, difficulty doesn't always give way to revelation - sometimes what follows is, alas, frustration. But when it does, we get that additional sense of satisfaction: The arduous ascent has been rewarded with a panoramic view.”
jackson-pollock-me.jpgAn artwork that I found to be very unusual is a piece by Jackson Pollock, Lavender Mist.  My first exposure to Jackson Pollock was in my Creative Arts class.  I felt his work looked like paint just splattered on a canvas.  When I looked up the background of these type of "splattered" paintings", I found out that "He danced in semi-ecstasy over canvases spread across the floor, lost in his patternings, dripping and dribbling with total control. He said: ``The painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through.'' He painted no image, just ``action'', though ``action painting'' seems an inadequate term for the finished result of his creative process".  It is interesting to see he actually had no plan or any direction to this particular piece, and look at the artwork he created.  Jackson Pollock has actually become one of my favorite artist work to look at.  I love the use of color and randomness to this painting.  For a painting that has no direction it just makes sense.

(posted by Kaitlyn)

No comments:

Post a Comment