Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Installation Art

The above picture is a work of installation art that reminded me a lot of the work by Ai Weiwei we saw in class with his sunflower seeds, except these are much bigger and they are faces. There are also less of them then in the sunflower works but the gray aspect and the fact that there are people walking on it made me think immediately that the two were very much alike. I am not sure how I feel about installation art. I admit its cool and looks interesting but the association with art is somewhat lost to me. I found another example of installation art that I found interesting.
 "Hello Darkness" is  220 Latex balloons, filled with LED/batteries in a dark room with  benches for rest and contemplation. An indoor sculptural garden/Installation dealing with the beauty of darkness and solitude. It is a pretty cool idea which I'd image would take a lot of time to do but the logistics kind of confuse me. Are people allowed to just walk on the floor that the balloons are on? If so how are they not pooped or taken or kicked around? Over-all installation art is a form of contemporary art that is interesting to look at and ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment